My medical journey thus far
It's one heck of a rat race. It's thrilling, exhilarating, depressing and yet fills you up with life.
When I was growing up, I always wanted to be a doctor. I have heard quite a lot about being a doctor at different stages in my life
Earlier days, it was all fun and games. Doctors were cool. I wanted that. To save lives and be cool.
Flash forward, a few years later. I still wanted to be a doctor. Only, I wanted it for a different reason. i didn't want it for the sake of the coolness. No, I really wanted to save lives.
I remember when I had just taken my last paper in high school finals, I was so excited. Finally done with grade school. I can finally begin my medical journey. A doctor friend advised me that whatever I saw as challenges were nothing compared to what is yet to come in med school. Boy was he right.
Preclinical years...the anatomy and physiology was fun, though the Biochem....I tried. Lol. But I couldn't wait to finally leave the dissection lab with all those cadavers and finally be in a real operating room.
Well, im finally here. Clinical student. Finally get to wear scrubs and hang a Littman round my neck.
I almost got lost in all the glamour. It took a viewing of a surgery to remind me why I am here and what it took to get here. This is my dream, my passion...why im here(maybe not the whole reason). I know it's said all over in medicine that it's tough, it's hard, those higher up the ranks are gonna treat you like trash, etc. While all that is true, i believe it was all put in place because truly, medicine wasn't made for everyone. Just as not everyone was cut out to be a model or an athlete,these are the the things that keep the profession in line. So that's why I decided not to let them get me down and out. They were intended to hit you down, but only the strong and determined get back up. The weak and unsure quit and back away, but im not running.
Ill admit, im a little sleep deprived as I type this. And I'm in a bit of a medical-high induced by S01E03 of Grey's anatomy. (I finally started it. It's gonna be a long journey, I know) . Funny thing is, they make medicine look impossibly hard...and yet, I like it.
Comments
Post a Comment