Because #COVIDIsReal, please #StayAlert

With the lockdown being eased in soo many countries, its easy to try to slip back into the old normal and lax all the COVID precautions. But let me just say this now before you read further: COVID-19 is still very real. It's still in Nigeria, the US and several other countries world wide.

Lockdown got eased, true enough. Have you ever wondered why? Did we finally beat the virus so life can go back to normal? Dear reader, the simple answer is painfully a no. The economy was being crippled by the lockdown. Government needed to do something. That doesn't mean that they did not put himan life into consideration. The CDC's of every country laid down specific rules and guidelines to be followed with the easing of the lockdown.

Now, it is in the hands of the general public (that's right, you and I) to uphold these precautions. Incase we have forgotten what these are, here's a recap:

-Wear a facemask whenever you are in public. Do this whether you are infected or not.
-Your facemask must cover your mouth and nose at all times. This means no hanging it on your ear or chin.
-Wash your hands with soap and running water as often as possible. 
-Maintain physical distancing as prescribed by your country's CDC.
-Disinfect surfaces you or others frequently come in contact with as often as possible. These include phones, laptops, door handles, light and fan switches, remote controls etc. (I keep a bottle of methylated spirit that contains about 70% isopropyl alcohol and use this to wipe down VERY often)
-Stay healthy (eat as healthy as you can and stay active) 

These are but a few. For a complete list, you can always get the CDC guidelines for your country online. 

So this morning, I saw a trend on twitter and that actually inspired this blog post. 
#COVIDIsReal and #StayAlert

This truly was soo necessary because people have gone months in the lockdown and as we know, humans have a short attention span. More so this generation. So, it's easy for us to forget those rules we followed religiously at the onset of the pandemic. Sad to even say some still speculate the virus is nothing but a hoax. Let me not get into the conspiracy theories that have had their share of trending time on twitter. 

This in particular is a trend I feel should go viral. Covid-19 is in actual fact very real and still exists. We can't pretend it's not and expect it to suddenly disappear. That's just not how it works. What's more, our healthcare workers have really taken a toll. As you all know (but let me reiterate incase you're new here) I am a medical student and as such know a lot of seniors working in hospitals this period. Trust me when I say "it's not a joke". They have had sleepless nights for months. You were locked up in your house, well, they were practically locked out of their houses. Many of us don't hear their stories. They suck it all up and keep forging ahead till their bodies just can't take it any more. I've heard countless eye witness accounts of doctors collapsing from exhaustion because of the workload this pandemic. I've also heard first hand the fear they live in for their own lives and that of their families. Some cannot even go home not because they don't want to. They simply do not want to put their families at risk of contracting the virus because they are painfully aware of the staggering number of healthcare workers who have contracted and died of the virus. I say this again, COVID-19 is real!


So play your part, follow precautions, educate your family and friends and stay encouraged. Reach out to family and friends as much as you can and keep everyone in good spirits. Don't let depression creep up on you. 

Also, you can hit twitter with the hash tags #COVIDIsReal to help raise awareness.

Currently, a campaign by CMDA Nigeria on twitter is helping do just this and I encourage us all to take part. I will attach a couple of the images I came across for this campaign (tailored mainly for Nigeria, but the message still serves anywhere). Use your Social media accounts to bring a real change. Save someone's life today.





Stay inspired
💙

Comments

Popular Posts

Embrace It

On editorial work and other stuff

showing appreciation